Monday, May 25, 2009

The Pink Famingo Wars


They begin Memorial Day weekend and end around Labor day. I'm not extacly sure how they started, I only know they must be fought.


All summer, a pink flamingo gets hidden in the neighborhood and we all take turn either giving or receiving.


This year, I fired the first volley. I found a foot tall pink flamingo at Home Depot and hid it in my neighbor's lanscaping. The little pink head peeked out from underneath her Japanese Maple. It looke cute among the red leaves, but she found it fast. I guess I was a little obvious.


She put it on the pool ladder of the person directly across from us. Must have been in the dead of night becasue I never saw her. Wonder if she painted her face in camaflouge and wore back.


You laugh, but the Flamingo Wars are very serious business.


There have been flamingos in rain gutters, on roofs, on swing sets, in hanging plants, attached to flagpoles, on fences, in fountains and even lounging on chaises. Nothing is safe during these twelve weeks. It's bigger than the war in the Mid-East.


Once I saw one neighbor's dog trying to bury it. But I think that was becasue someone put it in his dog dish and it smelled like Milkbone.


As far as I know, it's still across the street in the azaleas, but that's only because those neighbors haven't come home yet.


It's only a matter of time before the little bugger finds his way back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment